Can anyone help me

2 years sgo I visited the crash site of our plane which crashed in Denmark.

I was fortunate in finding the planes ID tag showing the type of plane (B17G) also the serial # 42-31377

Can anyone please tell me just where in the plane this ID tag was located??

I recently visited a B17 and found the plate on the pilots dashboard.

This ID tag was oval, whereas ours was rectanular and it did not look like the one that I found.

This B17 was made by Vega,  while ours was made by Boeing.

Does this explain the difference or are there more than one ID tags in a B17

Thanks,

Les Schrenk

You need to be a member of secondschweinfurt3 to add comments!

Join secondschweinfurt3

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Les,

Here is some info I got on one of the AAF forums:

Usually the B-17 had four such data plates that I know of.

1) At the hatchway heading towards forward escape hatch/nose compartment
    2) Just behind (aft) of the tail entrance on the right I believe
    3) In side the tail section.
    4) left (pilot's) side of cockpit.

The tail, fuselage and nose section were three different components making up the B-17 during construction, hence the three (four if you count cockpit) areas for putting the Mfg data plate.

I hope this helps!!

Best,  Mike Crosman

• Your answer was supplied by John Gilbert on the 8th Air Force Historical Society Facebook page.  I learned lots from this one!

‎3 Date Plates; "A riveting perspective". 1. The horizontal rectangle BOEING B-17 FLYING FORTRESS script tag was located on the far left side of the pilot's instrument panel. 2. The company drawings show that the oval manufacturer's data plate was supposed to be located just above it . I've seen period stills with and without it in that local. These plates had the Air Corps aircraft s/n, type engines, date completed, and manufacturer ( Boeing, or B-17 contractors; Douglas, Vega/ Lockheed [during production reference changed from Vega to Lockheed]). 3. When a B-17 was delivered from the factory or modification center to the Army, a 3rd data plate was installed/ A small square (vertical rectangle) that Mike alluded to, an Army Air Corps acceptance plate with info such as Type A/C, date accepted by the AAF, etc., I "believe" was located behind the cockpit on the bombay bulkhead, although it may have been installed in any location the the base mechanics felt like drilling 4 holes and riveting. This was a standard data plate that every AAF aircraft, from an L-4 Piper Cub to B-29A had attached to the airframe. As for using restored B-17 for reference, beware as the rebuilders have taken liberties in the degree of accuracy and detail in restoration. Hope this helped. 8-)

This reply was deleted.