Picture of the true original Schweinfurt Flag, as liberated by troops of the Rainbow Division, US Infantry. This flag was an-noted in words, bottom right hand corner, and presented to the USAAF for consideration and final presentation. Gen Doolittle received the flag, and decided it should be presented to the 305th BG, as their losses were so great on the Black Thursday mission. The picture shows the flag in the gardens at Brampton Grange, 1st Air Division HQ's. The flag was in transit from there to the 305th at Chelveston.  

Additional photos in the series shows the flag at the formal presentation with one of the two T2 hangar's. Colonel Henry 'Mac' Macdonald spoke to the men, emphasizing the courage, heroism and deeply felt sacrifices from the Black Thursday mission, and ALL missions which the group had participated upon since the fall of 1942. Almost 800 men lost, more than 900 as Prisoners of War, it was a huge legacy which the group had created, many with their lives. Upon completion of the formal ceremonies, Colonel 'Mac' made it clear that all should file past and over the flag, which was taken down and laid upon the floor of the hangar. It was also accepted, those that so wished, would urinate over it if the need should so overcome them. Many who were there that day and have spoken to me, declared that this indeed did happen.

During the first few days at Chelveston and following the formal handing over to a huge crowd of 305th personnel, the Schweinfurt flag was posed with many groups. Second photo shows members of the Link Trainer Building, having their picture taken with the Schweinfurt tribute.

Ian White

305th BGMA VP

UK-EU Contact & Group Historian

photosMay1945.pdf

Picture 182.jpg

You need to be a member of secondschweinfurt3 to add comments!

Join secondschweinfurt3

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for posting these photos.  Did you try putting them in the photo section?

Sometimes it is difficult to post there.  Do you mind if I try?  Thanks, Sue

This reply was deleted.